So it’s Valentine’s Day, and I’m sure many of you are probably expecting a post about how single girls should embrace the day with empowerment and confidence, saying it’s just another day. I have read a few of those posts this weekend, and I am spending the day busy at the office and having some pretty pink cosmos with some girlfriends tonight.
However, I am a romantic and to me, it’s not just another day. I miss having a boyfriend. And today is a day to celebrate love and romance.
With that in mind, let’s celebrate!
Let’s celebrate all the things we love about boyfriends, husbands, guys we’ve been crushing on, and whoever else is turning our hearts aflutter today. I’ve listed just a few of my favorite things below. Whether you’ve only been dating a few weeks or married for years, these items are universal in the language of love.
– The “nook.” There is no better place in the world. It’s perfect engineering. Somehow guys were made just the right size to be able to cradle our heads on their shoulders, while being able to put their arms around us.
– Flowers at work. Sure, flowers at home or for a date are nice. But when we get them at work, it’s always a wonderful surprise. They make hard days at the office easier, and great days even better. And we love how they make the other girls in our office envious. Plus, every time we see the flowers on our desk, we smile and blush and think of him thinking of us.
– Forehead kisses. What is it about a small simple kiss on the forehead that just seems so endearing and sweet?
– Neck kisses. Completely opposite of the kisses I listed above. When a guy finds this spot, you know the one – right on your neck, just a tad below your ear – you’re pretty much doomed. Weak-in-the-knees, chills-down-your-spine DOOMED.
– Stolen after-shower glances. You’re naked, wrapped in a towel, your skin is flushed from the hot water, you don’t have any makeup on, and your hair is damp and disheveled. When you walk out of the bathroom to get dressed, if your guy is in the room, no matter what he is doing, he will be distracted when you walk by. He can’t help it. He is powerless against it. If you haven’t noticed this, just try it. Watch his eyes go from the TV or book or video game, right to you. The movement quick movement of his eyes and the look on his face is priceless. Have a little extra fun and nonchalantly let the towel open or fall a little bit.
– Aftershave. I’m not a big cologne person, and I know most of my girlfriends aren’t either. But boy, we love a great smelling aftershave, don’t we, ladies? The scent isn’t as strong as cologne, so maybe the appeal is that you can only smell it when you’re super close to him.
– His favorite T-shirt. It’s old, it’s been washed and worn hundreds of times, and it’s just oh-so-soft. We love when he wears it, and we love when he lets us wear it even more. (Bonus points if it smells like the aforementioned aftershave.)
– Amazing. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Sexy. Stunning. Wonderful. Anytime a guy uses any of these words or a slight variation to describe us, we melt. A simple, heartfelt compliment makes us feel amazing, beautiful, gorgeous… well, you get the idea. I’m such a sucker, my heart skips when I see it in a text message! It’s the love letter of the 21st century, I guess.
– The “I made her smile” smile. This might be my favorite. Whether he’s hatched a master plan or just made a simple, thoughtful gesture, if he found a way to make you smile and succeeded, you see the most understated, sexy and adorable reaction. It’s the kind of pride that mixes the cuteness of a puppy with a new chew toy and studliness of a quarterback throwing a touchdown. Girls, if you don’t know the look I’m talking about, find yourself a new guy. It’s hard to explain if you’ve never seen it, because they normally try to hide it and play it cool. Guys, we do notice and we love it.
When you’re single, it’s easy to be bitter on Valentine’s Day. Love – and your lack of it – is thrown in your face. But I am not going to sit here and be depressing and say that love sucks or men suck. I am a romantic. And as you can see from the list above, it’s not fancy dinners and expensive gifts that I am missing today. I’d settle for one night in my favorite “nook,” or a few thoughtfully placed kisses.
Like I said before, these are just a few things I love about guys. But like I also said before, I have a busy day at work to attend to. If you have more to add, feel free to comment below. Maybe we’ll do a follow up list later. (An even better list would be what guys love about us!)
To all the lucky ladies who do have Valentines today, we single girls just ask that you don’t take them for granted. Enjoy your dates and flowers, but don’t underestimate the simplicity of a kiss on the cheek or when he says, “you look pretty tonight.” He did it to make you smile, and I hope he does that today… and every other day of the year too.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
P.S. I want to clarify that I also love boys who love boys and girls who love girls. Valentines come in all shapes, colors, and sizes – just like love.